Tuesday, August 29, 2017

History of Allen Roundhead

By: A.J. Jarret




          For the original cock of this family I am forever indebted to Dr. Fred Saunders of Salem, Massachusetts. I paid him the highest price ever paid for a gamecock in America. I took this cock and breed him a Grist yellow legged Grady hen. I raised 4 stags and 7 pullets. I then bred the old cock back to his daughter each season line breeding him until his offspring were 1/8 to 1/16 Grady and Balance Roundhead. By this method I increased their size, station, bone and muscle. They nearly all come yellow legged and often with white in their wings. The old cock was a spangle.

       
          I then got from Mr. John M. Vines of Jefferson, Texas a very old cocker, 3 hens of his old inbred Cripple Tony family. These hens were dark fowl and legs. I bred the old original Roundhead to these hens. The cross was a hit and kept breeding the old cock to his daughters each season, breeding to the Roundhead side. This stock often throws a dark pullet or stag coming of course from the Cripple Tony blood. This family of Roundheads is one of the Greatest on earth. They are dodgers and smart cocks like a pro boxers of today. They use their head as well as their feet and they have won more mains and tournaments than any cocks known to the south.




No comments:

Post a Comment